III. Because We Gain Tremendous Benefit From It.
The final reason that we should have a daily quiet time is because of all of the benefits it brings into our lives. God has promised many things (some 7,000 promises) but some things He has promised to those who take the time to get to know Him through His word.
What are the benefits of a daily quiet time?
- JOY –The most joyful Christians are those who spend time with Him daily.
Ps 16:11 You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Ps 119:47 And I will delight myself in Your commandments, Which I love.
Ps 119:97 Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day.
Ps 119:162 I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure.
Jer 15:16 Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.
- STRENGTH – As we meet with the Lord daily, we get our spiritual batteries recharged and gain the perspective of an eagle, seeing things as they really are.
Isa 40:29-31 – He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, 31 But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
- PEACE – We get peace of heart only when we have the assurance that God is in control of all things. This can only come through His Word.
Ps 119:165 Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble.
Isa 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.
Isa 48:18 Oh, that you had heeded My commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, And your righteousness like the waves of the sea.
Rom 8:6-8, For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
- STABILITY – When we have a regular time of Bible reading, prayer and worship, our lives become stable; the quiet time helps to alleviate the “spiritual roller coaster” type of living.
Ps 16:8-9, I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope.
Ps 46:1-3, God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3 Though its waters roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with its swelling.
Ps 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
Ps 57:7 My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and give praise.
- SUCCESS – The only promise of success in the Bible is connected to the condition of daily meditation on the Word of God.
Josh 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
- ANSWERED PRAYER – As we “remain” in Christ (spending quality time with Him) daily, we can claim this promise to be assured that our prayers will be answered.
John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
- OTHERS WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN OUR LIVES – People will know that we have been with Jesus. It is going to show in all areas of our lives. Being with Jesus is what will give confidence and boldness to us in witnessing about Him to those who don’t know Him.
Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.